1) Why did you decide to run for public office?
I am running for office knowing I represent a voice that is atypical mainstream for most Utans. I am running because in the past there has only been a one choice vote, which essentially is a no choice and always republican. I am running for Wasatch County Counsel Seat B at Large which has very little influence on future drug policy. The only influence would be that as a public official I would have a stance that can be brought out in the public view.
2) What is your background? Profession, skills, etc.?
I have a degree in molecular biology in zoology in the College of Biology at Brigham Young University with minors in chemistry and microbiology. I am an entrepreneur and own www.naltic.com, www.boxfish.us and teach piano.
3) What is your general experience with drug policy and substance abuse?
I keep up to date with national and state drug policies and substance abuse.
4) Do you support the creation of a medical cannabis program? Can you expand upon your general feelings about medical cannabis?
I support our liberties to grow and use holistic plants such as cannabis for personal use. I oppose some potential restrictions that medical cannabis program might instill. Yet, I am only in favor of non-combustion delivery methods, e.g. full vape.
5) What steps would you take to reduce the number of overdose deaths?
Establish laws that do not restrict our liberties but with reasonable regulations and supporting non-combustion delivery methods of cannabis. Laws that make cannabis readily available for those who are in high risk of overdose.
6) Do you agree with this analysis? Please feel free to elaborate.
Yes, this sounds reasonable.
7) Are you familiar with the principle of harm reduction? Do you have any experience with harm reduction policies? Please feel free to elaborate.
I too advocate reducing the harms of drug use through a lens of public health.
8) What are your general thoughts on the decriminalization of cannabis? Please elaborate.
I agree with what is stated above.
9) Are you interested in sponsoring drug policy reform legislation if you were elected? What would be some specific areas of focus or interest or you?
My respective office of County Council would have little power or influence.
10) Would you like to add anything else?
I am in favor of legalization of full plant and full spectrum of strains high in CBD with modest levels of THC for medical use while supporting reasonable regulation on non-combustion methods e.g. vape. I personally want to believe that responsible adults should be able to exercise their liberty of growing their own holistic plants without fear of state or federal intrusion.