Today, the Drug Policy Project of Utah is proud to announce our new partnership with Americans for Safe Access. The mission of Americans for Safe Access (ASA) is to ensure safe and legal access to cannabis (marijuana) for therapeutic uses and research. ASA works with a grassroots base of over 50,000 members to effect change through public education and direct advocacy at the local, state, and federal levels.
This new partnership will allow the Drug Policy Project of Utah to provide even deeper analysis of proposed legislation while increasing visibility and awareness of our efforts here in Utah.
Turner C. Bitton, Board President of the Drug Policy Project of Utah released the following statement when announcing the partnership:
"Drug Policy Project of Utah has been doing great work over the past year, and teaming up with this national-level organization will only lead to an expansion of our efforts. By partnering with and learning from the over ten years of invaluable experience provided by Americans for Safe Access at the local, state, and national levels, Drug Policy Project of Utah will continue to provide reasoned, factual, up-to-date information about medical cannabis in the State of Utah."
ASA Affiliates are groups and organizations, across the country, who choose to work on cannabis related campaigns in their regions. These affiliates, with the guidance and expertise provided by ASA, develop strategy and outline successful action plans to help shape their campaigns for safe access to medical cannabis.
- Affiliates must be an incorporated entity and have at least 5 current members of ASA as associates of their organization.
- Hold at least one joint fundraiser with ASA.
- Participate in bi-annual reciprocal membership drive.
- Promote ASA activities.
- Support the Affiliate Statement of Principles
The ASA Affiliate Statement of Principles
- Support Safe Access. ASA Affiliates agree to support and participate in ASA campaigns to expand safe access to medical marijuana.
- Community Respect. ASA Affiliates treat organizations and individuals in the medical marijuana movement with respect. ASA Affiliates seek to resolve any disputes with other activists or organizations in a calm and respectful manner.
- Monthly Involvement. ASA Affiliates participate in ASA conference calls and organizing activities to stay networked with ASA and abreast of key developments in the fight for safe access.
Drug Policy Project of Utah is excited to partner with ASA. A safe, robust, inclusive medical cannabis program is what we are striving for, and ASA will be a positive partner in helping us do just that.